Joint Base San Antonio (JBSA)
The largest and most diverse joint base in the Department of Defense, Joint Base San Antonio (JBSA) is comprised of four primary locations – JBSA-Fort Sam Houston, JBSA-Lackland, JBSA-Randolph and JBSA-Camp Bullis, which were merged on 1 October 2010.
JBSA is under the jurisdiction of the United States Air Force 502d Air Base Wing, Air Education and Training Command (AETC).
JBSA-Fort Sam Houston
Fort Sam Houston traces its roots as far back as 1845 when the Army established a garrison in San Antonio.
In 1876, the Army began constructing the Quadrangle on land donated by the city, and the Army garrison moved to the site a few years later. Fort Sam Houston was formally named for Gen. Sam Houston, the hero of the battle of San Jacinto and the first president of the Republic of Texas in 1890.
It is unique among Army posts. On the one hand, it is a major, active military installation that plays a vital role in the defense of the nation. On the other hand, it contains some of the oldest structures on any Army installation.
Fort Sam Houston is home to more than 36,000 active duty and DOD civilians; 48,000 family members; and 76,000 retirees. It is home to 502d Air Base Wing, U.S. Army North, U.S. Army South, the Army Medical Department, Army Regional Health Command Central, Brooke Army Medical Center, U.S. Army Medical Center of Excellence, Navy Regional Recruiting, and the Medical Education and Training Campus, which graduates over 16,500 students from 49 medical programs annually.
Lackland was named after Brig. Gen. Frank Lackland, who commissioned into the Army after serving in the District of Columbia National Guard.
Construction on the base began in 1941 and was originally part of Kelly Field. One year later, it became an independent organization called the San Antonio Aviation Cadet Center. On Feb. 3, 1948, the facility became Lackland Air Force Base, Gateway to the Air Force.
The base consists of more than 24,000 active duty members; 10,000 DOD civilians; and 11,000 contractors and family members. Lackland is comprised of the 37th Training Wing; 149th Fighter Wing; 59th Medical Wing; the Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency; 24th Air Force Wing, 67th Network Warfare Wing; the Cryptologic Systems Group; the National Security Agency; and 70 additional associate units.
Randolph Field was dedicated June 20, 1930, as a flying training base and continues in this mission today.
The idea for Randolph began soon after the establishment of the Air Corps Act in 1926, which changed the name of the Army Air Service to the Army Air Corps. Gen. Frank P. Lahm was placed in charge of all flying training and established the Air Corps Training Center and set up its headquarters at Duncan Field, next to Kelly Field. After deciding the facilities at Kelly and Brooks Fields were not enough for proper training, the Air Corps soon decided an additional training field was needed.
Randolph Field was named after Capt. William M. Randolph, who crashed his AT-4 on takeoff retuning to duty at Kelly. He contributed immeasurably to the progress of aviation and served on the base name selection committee.
After the Air Force became a separate service Sept. 18, 1947, Randolph Field was officially named Randolph Air Force Base Jan. 14, 1948.
Randolph is home to more than 4,000 military members; 5,000 dependents; and 5,000 DOD civilians. It is home to numerous units, including Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Air Force Personnel Center, and the host unit, the 12th Flying Training Wing.
Camp Bullis Military Training Reservation is a U.S. Army training camp comprising more than 27,000 acres in Bexar County, Texas, just northwest of San Antonio. The camp is named for Brig. Gen. John. L. Bullis.
Camp Bullis provides base operations support and training support to JBSA. It is used primarily as a maneuvering grounds for U.S. Army, Air Force and Marines combat units. It is also utilized as a field training site for the various medical units stationed at Brooke Army Medical Center in nearby Fort Sam Houston.
In 1906, the U.S. military bought more than 17,000 acres from all or parts of six ranches. This area was designated the Leon Springs Military Reservation and was to be used as a maneuvers and training area for troops based at Fort Sam Houston. The first major maneuvers were held in 1908, involving regular Army and National Guard infantry, cavalry and field artillery units. The first documented firing of artillery occurred in 1909. Mobilization of troops in response to upheavals in Mexico in 1911 led to large-scale maneuvers at the reservation. With increased tension at the U.S.-Mexico border from 1912-1916, activity at the reservation decreased as troops from Fort Sam Houston were deployed along the border.
Throughout the years, Camp Bullis has continued to support as well as provide training facilities for Army, Army Reserve, Air Force, and Texas National Guard personnel.
My San Antonio Home Resource is committed to helping service members, their families and anyone moving with the military get organized and master their move. Use the following resources to access the information, support and assistance you need – from understanding PCS orders and entitlements, to shipping household goods, moving with pets, filing a claim, learning about your new duty station and more.