We'll arrange to visit the homes you've selected, together and in-person, to determine the best fit for you.
How can I make the most of my time when visiting homes?
- Get an accurate idea of your price range, an estimate of your monthly payments and a pre-approval letter, so sellers will take you seriously when you make an offer.
- Work with your real estate agent to hone your “wants” and “needs” list. Think about what’s most important to you: the location or the house itself.
- Preview homes through the My San Antonio Home Resource app to eliminate those you won’t need to visit in person.
- Plan an itinerary with your real estate agent.
What should I expect when visiting homes?
- You and your real estate agent typically visit homes together
- Homeowners usually are not home, so you’re free to spend as little or as much time as you want.
- Buyers often have a gut reaction to a home. First impressions count, but you can also consult your agent to learn more about home values and possibly to reevaluate your priorities in the context of what’s available in your price range.
How many homes should I visit?
Sometimes buyers find their future home the first time out and others look at 50 homes before they see one that checks all their boxes. It’s a good idea to see at least a few alternatives so you have some points of comparison, but sometimes you just know a place is where you want to live.
What should I look for when visiting homes?
- Look beyond the staging and decorative items to see the features and fixtures that convey with the house.
- Check the condition of the home.
- Keep track with photos and notes.
- Consider possible home improvements you might want to make so you can research costs later.
- Don’t forget to check out the outside of the property and the neighborhood. Your real estate agent has access to neighborhood insights and data to help inform your decision.
- Locate your commuter route, schools, shops, restaurants, parks and other amenities.
- If the property is a condo or located in a homeowners association, find out the fees and rules to see if you can live with them.
Your real estate agent will be your trusted partner for your home search.
The home-buying process doesn’t need to be scary. Our step-by-step guide will walk you through the process and answer your questions on what you should expect from your REALTOR®, where to look for loans, and what to watch out for when closing the deal. Search homes for sale and use our expertise to help you gain the most in today’s real estate market.
Real Estate Glossary
Use this glossary to make yourself more prepared for the professionals and documents you'll encounter in your real estate experiences.